Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Partly Cloudy with a Chance of a Great Sunrise

I love to catch a beautiful sunrise.  In the pre-dawn, I can sometimes of guess if it'll be a spectacular one or not, based on the amount of clouds.  No clouds, not really notable.  Completely cloudy, we might not even be seeing the sun for a while.  Partly cloudy, get the camera ready.


It is interesting that it seems to take a partly cloudy day to really highlight the beauty of the sun rising.  I think maybe the same can be said of life...  There's nothing like a bout with a cold or the flu to highlight how wonderful it is to be feeling well.  A cut or a bruise remind me of how amazing it is when bodies can naturally heal themselves.  A headache certainly reminds me of how thankful I am when my head isn't giving me any problems at all. 

It is also interesting how a completely sunny morning makes for a less remarkable sunrise... Similarly, when I walk around with few problems, I forget to be thankful for the health and abilities God has given.  Like a bright and completely sunny day, I am thankful for the sun's warmth but I don't stand in awe of it quite so much.  I sometimes forget to notice God in things when times are easy.

And on completely cloudy days, it is sometimes hard to remember that the sun is still there.  When trials seem to come upon us heavily, it is sometimes hard to see where God is.  The problems seem too great, and we tend to wonder if God is still there.

But He is still there. And the sun never fails to still shine above the clouds.  I love times on an airplane, when we are flying high above the clouds in the nearly blinding light of the sun, and then we begin our descent into a cold and rainy day below.  It is a vivid reminder to me that no matter how gloomy the day seems, the sun is still shining brightly above the clouds.  And no matter how difficult and trying life gets, God is still there - for He is ever faithful.

 Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. 
Worship the Lord with gladness; 
come before him with joyful songs. 

Know that the Lord is God.  
It is he who made us, and we are his; 
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.  

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; 
give thanks to him and praise his name. 

For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; 
his faithfulness continues through all generations.

2 comments:

Roland said...

Dear Laura - You have a wonderful grip on reality. I join you in praising God.
Psalm 68:3-4 (HCSB) 3 But the righteous are glad; they rejoice before God and celebrate with joy. 4 Sing to God! Sing praises to His name. Exalt Him who rides on the clouds His name is Yahweh and rejoice before Him.
May your day be filled with HIS joy and peace.
Love Ya - uncle Roland and aunt Pam

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing that verse!

BibleGateway.com Verse of the Day