The man in the movie was completely naked from behind, and I was surprised that not a single one of the teenage girls was snickering or giggling, like they tend to do at inappropriate times. But we had also prepared for this moment, and thankfully it was apparently paying off.
The movie was Spartacus (2004), and before hitting play, I told them that this was a much more violent movie than I usually watch with them. But, I explained, it was violence not intended simply for entertainment, but to show historical realities. I let them know that there would be a naked man in the movie - and unlike many movies when that is meant to be a humorous moment, this was meant to show a deeply shameful moment in this man's life.
And perhaps the preparation had begun even before I realized, as I have been watching movies and tv shows with them every Friday night for years now. I have often been shocked and concerned about the things they find funny - some very serious and sad moments are often interrupted by bursts of laughter I don't understand. Maybe it's a difference in culture. Maybe it's that they've already been through so much hardships in their short lives that humor is a defense mechanism at seeing yet more pain in this world.
But, as I said, in this moment, remarkably no one made a sound. I had also stopped the movie just before this scene, to explain why the Roman woman wanted to see the Jewish man naked - how she couldn't understand the practice of circumcision. That also led to an unexpected conversation of me needing to explain (in Spanish) what circumcision is. One can never know what a day has in store, I suppose :).
One of my main hopes in showing them this movie was that they would have a better idea of what the world was like just before Jesus was born into it. Perhaps now, when they hear a sermon, they will be able to better picture what things were like in those times. Maybe they will understand more about how crucifixion was a very cruel and fairly common Roman way of punishing people (and what a surprise it must've been that someone who had been crucified came back to life!).
So, this morning, as I think about the events of last night, I pray that they will continue to reflect on them as well. That this will somehow help forward them in their faith. Not all the movies we watch have been or will be super meaningful. But even then, we will hopefully be strengthening our relationships with one another, as they learn from me and I learn a lot from them as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment