The teenager came in with a cautious smile on his face. But I was so happy to see him, I jumped up and asked him if I could give him a hug. It was a little awkward, but such a blessing.
In recent weeks I'd been making a point of saying hi to this kid when we crossed paths, but didn't get much reaction out of him - teenage boys, am I right? But yesterday I got a phone call from one of the houseparents, telling me that he was going to the school because this young man had fallen and hit his head. A short time later, I found out that he'd actually suffered a pretty severe seizure, and they were taking him to the hospital in an ambulance.
We prayed in the office, or rather, I made the accountant lead us in prayer, because I was close to really having a good cry. A note was sent out to our message group, and others joined us in prayer. I got updates from the housefather on where they were, and the boy's status - along with photos of him strapped to the gourney and then in a peaceful, medically-induced sleep in the hospital bed.. I agreed with the housefather that he should stay overnight with him in the hospital, and arranged people to cover the staff member's absence.
Today, the housefather came into my office with a copy of the hospital report and his CT scan. I had him write an incident report for our files and, as I heard more of the story, I greatly lamented the lack of training the school staff had for events such as these. But thankfully the young man got the ok from the doctors to resume his regular activities, with a follow up appointment in a month to look again into what is going on.
So as today drew to a close, this kid surprised me by coming into my office. He still had a neck brace on and I was cautious to hug him, but he gave me a strong hug back. I was so thankful.
As he left my office, I remembered being the elementary school principal of this little boy, struggling with his behavior issues and delighting in his new achievements. I remembered how as a pre-teen, in a moment of anger, he destroyed $10,000 pesos worth of property, and had to work to pay it back (though there came a point when the debt just had to be forgiven, ~$700 dollars is a mighty big bill for a child living in a children's home to pay off - but thankfully he did grow through the experience). I remembered how recently, as a teenager, one of the girls (with a history of lying) was accusing him of something very serious, and how he came in to my office, desperate for me to know and believe the truth about him. It has been a long journey with this young man.
My prayer for him is the same as my prayer for all the kids living here - may God continue to protect them and bring them full healing. May He bring to completion the purposes He has for their lives. And may they grow into men and women of God who establish His kingdom in love and restoration.
So as today drew to a close, this kid surprised me by coming into my office. He still had a neck brace on and I was cautious to hug him, but he gave me a strong hug back. I was so thankful.
As he left my office, I remembered being the elementary school principal of this little boy, struggling with his behavior issues and delighting in his new achievements. I remembered how as a pre-teen, in a moment of anger, he destroyed $10,000 pesos worth of property, and had to work to pay it back (though there came a point when the debt just had to be forgiven, ~$700 dollars is a mighty big bill for a child living in a children's home to pay off - but thankfully he did grow through the experience). I remembered how recently, as a teenager, one of the girls (with a history of lying) was accusing him of something very serious, and how he came in to my office, desperate for me to know and believe the truth about him. It has been a long journey with this young man.
My prayer for him is the same as my prayer for all the kids living here - may God continue to protect them and bring them full healing. May He bring to completion the purposes He has for their lives. And may they grow into men and women of God who establish His kingdom in love and restoration.
No comments:
Post a Comment